Friday, December 18, 2009

The Day I met Bono In Italy....

Ok, some of you know this and some of you don't. But, when I went to interview for my job at Franklin College in Lugano, Switzerland, I met Bono. I was eating in a Chinese Resturant with my soon to be boss, Alesia, her niece and another colleague, Calhoun. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a man who I was sure was Bono. All through dinner I could not help but stare at him. Could this really be true? Could I be in the same place as this mega super star in a little town in Italy? I talked about it with the company at my table. They wanted to me to ask him and I of course was acting shy. But I really wanted to know...

As we got ready to leave, I got up the nerve to ask the man if he was Bono. Calhoun was so embarassed that he was hiding out in the parking lot. I have Alesia my camera to snap a photo, just in case, and walked over to the man. "Excuse me sir, are you Bono?" Bono looked right at me and said, "Are you drunk?" Me, "No sir, I have only had one beer. Can I take a picutre with you?" And that was that. He never responded yes or no, a whole entourage of people came close when we took our picture, it was Bono and I met him in  a small Chinese resturant in Italy. I went back and emailed the photo of me with Bono to my Aunt Pat, the resident Bono expert, and she really could not confirm or deny either. I will always remember that day as the day I met Bono.

A year later I went back to the Chinese resturant with some friends. We reminded the owner who we were and that we had been there the night that Bono came in. He told us that Bono had just been there the week before. Confirmation, that was Bono and me in the picture.

Fast Forward three years...yesterday, December 17, 2009. I got this email from my good friend Laura in Lugano....

Rachel,


How are you? I received your Xmas card. THANK YOU! I hope all is well and happy for you in Georgia. Some day, I really want to go there! I got a call from Nathan a week ago...what a surprise! It was fun to hear from him and felt like we had talked just days before. Same ol' Nate.

So, here's a funny story. I was at a dinner party a few weeks ago. U2 was playing and we started talking about them.I proceeded to tell them the story about how my friend was interviewing here and met Bono at the Chinese restaurant past gandria. How you went up to him and Said, are you Bono? He said, ARe you drunk? etc etc.
So a few days later, one of the guys, Robb, emails me and says, guess what? A colleague of mine at work was Just talking about how her friend looks like Bono and that they were in a restaurant one time and people came up to them and asked to take a photo. I told robb, no, that we were in the restaurant a year later and that the owner had said that Bono had been there again the week before. So, I'm sure this was a different case.

Well, I forgot about the whole thing, and YESTERDAY out of the blue, I get the below photo!!

I almost fell out of my chair!

Anyway... I had to share!
:) Hope you have a great Xmas..

Love, Laura



The Email she is referring too...
Hey,
If I don't see you have a great time in Vietnam!!

Happy Holidays!
I hope this is your friend.....probably not, but funny!!!


Robb





I almost fell out of my chair too! I laughed so hard on the phone with my aunt that I was crying! There is my camera in the picutre and you can see my picture on the camera screen! The world is so small...so so small...

Remind me to blog about another "It's a small world afterall" experience soon. But for now, I hope you get a kick out of the picture too!

No comments:

Post a Comment