Thursday, August 27, 2009

not to brag but...

In the month of August, I swam the English Channel.

Ok, I admit, not the real English Channel but the distance of the English Channel. Its 21 miles across and tomorrow I will finish my 22nd mile in the pool this month. I have been tracking my distance day by day in a spreadsheet on my computer. I get so excited to add the day in when I finish my morning swim!

Where should I go next? Should I attempt to swim the real English Channel? I would do it but look at the details I discovered...


Step 1
Start training for your swim months in advance. (DONE) You can start this at your local pool. Most Channel swimmers, however, acclimate themselves to local conditions on the beaches of Folkestone or Hythe in England. (HMMM)

Step 2
Obtain a "standard swim costume" for your attempt. Basically, you cannot have a swimsuit that covers your arms or legs, provides buoyancy or gives you thermal protection. (DONE)

Step 3
Experiment with different ways to get the food and drink you will need during your swim. Since you are forbidden to have any physical contact with another person during your swim, you will have to be creative in thinking up ways to get your nourishment. Other swimmers have used squeeze bottles and bags passed to them with a pole, strung along on a string to them, or even passing larger-than-normal-sized cups to avoid personal contact with a swimmer. (THIS COULD GET INTERESTING. MAYBE I COULD EAT A HOT DOG ON A STICK??? USE A SUPER SOAKER TO GET LIQUIDS DOWN??? CATCHING CORN DOGS WHILE DOING BACKSTROKE???)

Step 4
Decide if you want to "grease" yourself up before a swim. (UMM...WITH WHAT???) Most swimmers do use some of it, especially on areas of the body that may be prone to chafing (neck, shoulder, arm pits, groin), while others slap it all over to provide a little bit of warmth during their swim. Expect to make up your own blend to suit your needs.

Step 5
Prepare for swimming at least part of the Channel in darkness or twilight. Most swimmers attach chemical glow sticks to themselves to help their pilots see them in low-light conditions. (STEFANI...YOU BETTER STOCK UP ON THE GLOW STICKS!!!)

Step 6
Bring your passport and a visa to enter France at the end of your swim. Sure, you may not be planning to stay over, but you could change your mind or require medical assistance at the end of the swim. Besides, if any authorities request to see proof of your identity before, after or even during your swim, it will be a convenient document to have on board the pilot ship. (CHECK)


It sounds like I am on track for a successful swim across the channel. This could get interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment