Monday, February 16, 2009

Have you ever witnessed a real diva in action? I'm not talking about a sometimes high maintenance sort of diva. I'm talking about an all out, don't mess with me, I rule this place kinda diva. The kind that stops traffic, has their own private lair, and for lack of a better description...a diva who is basically just the HBIC.


Well, I have witnessed this type of diva. I know I wrote about my special Dixie girl the other day but today the world lost one of the most real divas that I have ever known and it would only be right to use this space to pay her some final respects. My family lost our beloved cat today at the age of 14. Aurora was one hell of a diva!


We brought her home when she was so tiny. Lizzie and I had always wanted a cat but my dad always played the "allergy" card. When we finally got him to give in, our prize was a jet black, spunky little kitten which we promptly named Aurora because of her love of lights. She was the kitten who, when she had her front claws removed, retaliated with more intense attacks with the back claws. Needless to say, the back claws had to come out too. However, she must have sharpened those "claws" at least once a day. She was chased and cornered by our family dog Tucker and would make noises like something that one would only expect from a lion until we came to her rescue.


Our sweet little kitten continued to grow. One day, the once tiny kitten who would dance across the ceiling tiles in the bathroom found herself on the bathroom floor after she fell through the ceiling. Whoops! I guess she had not realized how much she had grown.


This was the same diva of a cat who used to get so mad at my mom when she would yell at me. When I was in high school I had a room in the basement of our house. My mom would come to get me in the morning for school and if Aurora did not like the way she talked to me, she would chase my mom up the stairs pulling at her tights or sometimes biting her skin. She always had my back. She and my mom were pretty close after I moved out though...lots of nap time for bonding!


This diva of a cat was also a lover of reptiles and spiders. We once had a lizard named Spike. Whenever he was visiting our house during a break from my mom's classroom, she would keep him company by laying on top of his cage.


For the last few years of her life, Aurora spent a lot of time in a basket on top of the refrigerator at my parents house. This location kept her safe from the dogs and allowed her to keep watch of all the comings and goings throughout the day. I told my mom that if she could have talked, we would have never wondered who left the surprise on the floor or who stole the sandwich from the counter ever again.


This diva of a cat took a couple of strolls outside each year. When she was little, I remember Liz and I thought we would get a leash and walk her outside in our neighborhood. We tried the leash and Aurora just would not have it. We dragged her for about a minute before we realized it might be easier to stick to walking our dog instead. She started taking these strolls on her own after awhile. She would wait for the right minute when the door was open and no one was looking and then dart outside to roll on the concrete. This secret darting got her in trouble a couple of times when no one realized she was out and she was forced to spend the night outside.


She might have been the only mammal, animal or human who really tolerated Shout. For those of you who know Shout, you what a challenge that can be. I am sure he will miss his day time napping buddy!


I could go on and on about Aurora. She was a great pet, a lovely animal who even has an older cat, never got fat. The fact of the matter is that we got Aurora when I was 12 and now I am 26. She moved in with us when we lived in our tiny little house on Auburn street. We have long since moved from that house but Aurora has been the constant in both of the houses we have lived in since then. This is the kind of stuff that makes growing up so tough.


I know that Aurora and her diva soul found peace today. There is a special place in heaven for pets...I am sure of it. I know that Lady, Bridget, Taff, Whisper and all of our other buddies who have since passed on will show her the ropes. After all, they owe her one. She never ate cheese on them when they stole snacks or left surprises.
Rest in peace sweet Aurora. You were one cool cat who will be sorely missed.

1 comment:

  1. What a great posting! Aurora sounds wonderful. Keep up the great writing. -JoBeth

    ReplyDelete