Thursday, April 9, 2009

da...da...da...dentist

so yesterday, i went to the dentist. i typically don't mind the dentist because i want to make sure my smile is fresh and ready to be used at any time.

i had not been to the dentist in about three years. i know that sounds horrible but dental insurance can be hard to come by as can extra cash for a cleaning and when i was living in switzerland, dentistry was out of the question. i went to the dentist one time in lugano. the dentist cleaned SOME of my teeth and she informed me that i had FOUR cavities. i asked her to send me an estimate in the mail for the work to fix the cavities and when it turned out to be 1400 CHF to do the work, i declined.

so...having this knowledge in my head and a recent root canal right after my wedding, i knew i was in for a real treat at the dentist yesterday. i prepared myself for the possibility of some fillings and the expense that would accompany them. i waited patiently as the hygienist cleaned my teeth, flossed and took a half a million x-rays. then the dentist came in...(start the horror movie music now). he took a look, poked around, took a look some more...ahh the suspense. i mean how many cavities are in there? i have a super cool electric toothbrush, i floss and rinse with a peroxide solution everyday! i kept thinking...c'mon doc...tell me the damage.

then, he turned off the light. adjusted the chair to its upright position. took of the bib. i sat there, a bit puzzled. "how many cavities do i have?" his answer. none.

NONE!!!!! zip. zero.nada.niente. NONE!!!!

that swiss dentist said i had four.

good thing i declined her service to fix my "cavities" and used the money for more useful things like wine, trips and nights out with friends! What a scam! i am thankful to finally have great dental insurance that includes two free cleanings a year by an American dentist where all my teeth will be cleaned!

until next time...brush em', brush em', brush em'!

No comments:

Post a Comment